Don’t Sweat It: The Perfect Summer Skin
If you’re in the northern hemisphere, we’re quickly moving into summer! And that means no matter WHERE you live, temperatures are climbing, things are beginning to bloom and…your skin is beginning to change! That’s right! Did you know that your skin’s needs can change throughout the seasons? So if you’re using the same skin routine all year, you might not have the best skin you could! But we’re here to tell you everything you need to know about how to achieve the best summer skin routine. We’ll cover WHY you should switch it up, the best routine for YOUR skin type, which steps you should add (or leave out) or your skin routine for summer, and some of our favorite summer skin care products! By the end of this post, you’ll know EVERYTHING there is to know about how to put together a perfect skin care routine for summer!
Why Do I Need To Change My Skin Routine?
We all have our classic skin care favorites. Our old standbys that we’ve been using for AGES. Whether it’s a fool-proof acne treatment or your favorite cream…we’re not asking you to just throw it out the window! But it might be time to evaluate what your skin needs NOW! For instance, many women require a super hydrating moisturizer during the winter months. Especially in colder climates. Meanwhile, that SAME woman might benefit from a lightweight gel moisturizer in the summer. Our environment and climate can have HUGE effects on our skin. So make sure you’re checking in on how your skin looks and feels when the seasons change, and adjust your skin care routine accordingly! For now, we’ll teach you how to put together the best summer skin routine for your skin.
What’s The Best Summer Skin Routine For MY Skin?
There’s no one-size-fits-all skin care routine. Because what YOUR skin needs is unique! But you can narrow down your best summer skin routine by determining your skin type! Most people fall into one of three categories: oily, combination, or dry. Here are our recommendations for what YOU should be incorporating into your best summer skin routine based on your skin type:
- Dry Skin | If you have dry skin, even in the warmer summer months, you might not have to switch up too much about your routine. Dry skin can also tend to be quite sensitive, so we recommend making sure you use a GOOD SPF lotion on your face daily during the summer months. Summer is also a great time to bust out a heavier facial oil for moisture…if it leaves you shiny, you can write it off as a dewy summer glow! And if you can find one with Vitamin E, it could even add some extra sun protection!
- Combination Skin | Combination skin types will likely want to switch to a lighter facial moisturizer during the summer. Your best summer skin care routine is one that’s formulated to balance your skin and keep your oily zones from getting TOO oily in the heat. Blotting papers are an incredible option for when you just want to control oil in TARGETED zones of the face without drying out all your skin!
- Oily Skin | If you have oily skin, sweat and sand could make breakouts more of a problem. So we recommend amping up your acne prevention. Try a weekly clarifying mask or a spot treatment. Clarifying and cooling toners or facial mists can be a great way to freshen up mid-day…especially if you can keep them in the fridge!
Products To Build YOUR Best Summer Skin Routine
Now that you know what you might want to change to keep YOUR skin looking great through all your fun in the sun, here are some recommendations to get you started! These are our best summer skin routine must-haves:
- Drunk Elephant Umbra Tinte Physical Daily Defense Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 30 | $36
- Fresh Vitamin Nectar Antioxidant Face Mist | $44
- Glow Recipe Watermelon Pink Juice Moisturizer | $39
- Sunday Riley C.E.O. Glow Vitamin C + Turmeric Face Oil | $80
- Herbivore Emerald Cannabis Sativa Hemp Seed Deep Moisture Glow Oil | $48