With the recent surge in collagen products being produced, there has also been rising concern over what side effects collagen supplements and creams might have on you. Basically, what are the Collagen Side Effects? Whether you’re taking a supplement already or you’re thinking of taking one, you may want to read this article first. We’ll lay out the good, the bad, and the ugly about it…. Okay maybe not the ugly, but we’ll definitely give you the pros and cons of using collagen supplements.
Collagen Side Effects – What Is Collagen?
Collagen is a protein in the human body. It’s found in the bones, muscles, skin, and tendons. We’re going to be talking about exogenous collagen which is collagen that comes from an outside source such as a supplement or cream. Basically, collagen is what keeps your skin together. As we age, our collagen can begin to break down which can lead to reduced structural integrity in our skin. That means we’re more prone to age lines, wrinkles, and other skin conditions. That’s a basic overview, but you can read a lot more about collagen here.
Collagen Side Effects – Why People Take Collagen Supplements
Collagen supplement are designed mostly to reduce signs of aging. They claim to be able to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and age-lines. They may tighten and firm skin that has drooped due to the aging process. Basically, we all want to look younger, and many collagen supplements claim to be able to deliver that younger look, but most of them don’t list any side effects. We did some research to find out just what these supplements can do – good and bad.
Collagen Side Effects Pros
- May Improve Skin – Collagen may do exactly what people take it for. Many people report their skin’s condition improving shortly after taking collagen supplements.
- It May Ease Joint Pain – It can take a bit longer than improving the skin, but there are folks out there who reported a decrease in joint pain after they began taking collagen.
- It May Boost Hair and Nail Growth – Okay, maybe this one isn’t a pro. Some people don’t want their hair and nail growth to increase… but others do. For those of us that don’t want it to happen, just get a new pair of clippers and call it a day. If you do, maybe try collagen supplements.
- It May Improve the Body’s Ability To Heal From Wounds – Because it’s a connective protein, it makes sense that collagen supplements would help your body heal a cut faster.
Collagen Side Effects Cons
- It may Increase The Risk of Kidney Stones – Most doctors recommend starting with a small amount of collagen before going whole hog into a regiment. Some bodies will react negatively, and especially if you have had stones in the past, consult a doctor before you begin taking collagen supplements.
- Skin Irritation – When taken as a cream, some users have reported irritation on the area of application. Red, itchy, and irritated skin can all occur when applying topical collagen.
- Hypersensitivity – This Collagen Side Effect is much more rare, but some users have reported it. If you experience hypersensitivity while using collagen, stop using it immediately and contact a doctor before you begin taking it again.
Collagen Side Effects Summary
We made that sound kind of scary in the end there, but we assure you that the negative side effects do not appear to be the norm. In fact, most people report positive results or no results at all from their supplements. If you’re thinking of taking a collagen supplement, it’s always a good idea to talk to a doctor or dermatologist first. Thanks for reading and stay beautiful!
While you here, check out our Ultimate Skincare Guide!