Our Best Aloe Vera DIYs!
Summer is upon us here in the northern hemisphere! And that means backyard barbecues, days at the beach, more hours of daylight and tons of fun in the sun! But all that fun can really take a toll on your skin, especially if you’re not protecting it properly! The best thing you can do for you skin is to regularly use an SPF. But we understand that not everyone is perfect! Things happen! Maybe you didn’t expect to be outside for as long as you were! Or maybe you simply forgot the sunscreen this time. Whatever the reason, if you end up with a nasty sunburn, there’s only one place to turn: aloe. This green goo is a LIFESAVER when it comes to sunburn and irritated skin. Which is why we want to share our favorite DIY aloe skin care!
First Things First: Avoid The Burn
We know, this might seem a little redundant for an article on DIY aloe skin care. But we’re not trying to lecture you! This is just really important! And will help keep you from getting burnt again. Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice…well, you know the saying! To avoid sunburn, you should make sure you’re always using an adequate SPF on your face AND body and reapplying every few hours! It also helps to have a hat with a brim and large sunglasses to protect your face from the sun if you’ll be out in bright sun for a long time! Plus, you’ll look like a glamorous movie star on your trip to the beach!
DIY Aloe Skin Care: The Basics
The easiest way to use aloe DIY skin care to soothe a sunburn is to just smear that stuff right on there. Plain. We know, it’s hardly a DIY. But what can we say, we like to keep things simple! Don’t fix it if it isn’t broken! The gel from the aloe plant is super soothing for burns all on its own. So if you’re short on time, money, or supplies, you can literally just break a leaf off your aloe plant and rub the gel all over your sunburn! Or you can pick up pure aloe gel at the drugstore if you don’t have a plant at home!
DIY Aloe Skin Care: Powerhouse Blends
When it comes to DIY skin care with aloe, you’re pretty much always going to be applying it to the skin as a mask. So all it comes down to is what you’d like to combine with your aloe in order to meet your skin’s needs. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Vitamin E Oil | Vitamin E is super hydrating and can be found easily at most drugstores. It could even help give your skin some extra protection from the sun!
- Honey | Honey helps to hydrate the skin after sunburn, and it has the added benefit of helping control breakouts!
- Banana | Another super soothing addition to your DIY aloe skin care!
- Rose Water | Rose water makes a refreshing combination with aloe, and it could help soothe redness and irritation.
- Tomato Juice | If you have acne prone skin, adding tomato juice to your DIY aloe mask could help reduce acne and acne scarring!